Thursday, April 17, 2014

How do I do it?

"How do you do it? I mean, just with writing, blogging and always being on the road- how do you manage?"

Someone asked me this and I could not answer her. It was there at the tip of my tongue, but I could not say it. I shrugged and smiled- but I could not find the words to tell her.

I can write a short story of 9,000 words in a day, but cannot answer a question like that.

Having gotten over my episode, I plugged in my earphones and played out The Fray's album #Helios. I had to take a breather because my head was spinning with so many ideas and I needed to settle down- cool off.

How do you do it?

Tell me, how do you manage to pull off the things that you do?

It's not an easy question- because though you might say that you simply wake up and plan your day, well, I've come to appreciate the saying that "you plan and God laughs," so not everything would go like you planned. I love writing and reading books. I also love listening to music- and there's always the desire to achieve more than what I do on a daily basis, but that's just the hanger in my closet awaiting a designation.

Things might not always go as we've planned, and I was looking at all the mail I have sent in the past year- and was not surprised to find that 80% of them were job applications. I had graduated and needed a paying job to at least cover my bills and do give back to my mom for having supported me all through my education training time. What is interesting is half of those never responded. Of the other half, some had turned me down for being overqualified and the other few did hire me. I never did analyze my mail as I have done this morning. It just goes to show that there's always something you can do.

I also viewed my Author Profile on Smashwords and just realized that I have published 22 books since I joined in November, 7th 2011.
22 ebooks!
22 stories!
22 tales of worlds that seem far yet are always within our reach. I couldn't help but feel stumped! It's not been easy.

Even as I post this, I have come a long way to 50,718 page views and it's always great when I get to know that there's more I can do every second of this life that's granted to me. So, how do I do it?

By ceasing every opportunity.
Every day is a blank page that could either be a book or books by dusk. 

I have approached publishers and been turned down numerous times. I have also had two big publishing houses here in Kenya- use my work one without consent and the other paying only ten percent of what they offered. I have learned from them- and I'd not work with them again.

I have also come to learn that there's always a plan B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z. What matters is how quick I am at activating them and to what end.

So, how do I do it? By making the time because I enjoy doing what I do- and it's always an opportunity for me to learn something.So, it's not about what everyone is doing but what you are doing that's making a positive difference in your life.
If the goodness doesn't flow from within you to those around you...then at some point you'll end up feeling wasted- and you'd cease the chance to have made something out of what you had.

Now, I throw it back to you: How do you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Reading!