Friday, July 11, 2014

5 Things I learned about Teamwork today

I reported to work at half past eight in the morning following a directive, and waited till nine for the meeting to commence. I listened to Sam Smith's album In the Lonely Hour as I read Bitter Sweets by Roopa Farooki

Half an hour into the meeting time, I started reading Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh. I'm in love with Amitav after reading his masterpiece, "The Glass Palace" sometime this year. So, when I got into Nakumatt #BooksFirst and saw "Sea of Poppies" I couldn't help but buy it.

So, there I was reading a few lines when my attention was needed, and I started working on next week's schedule. See, we started out as a team of six and then went down to four and came back up to twelve.
I know it's not easy managing a big team, but there are some lessons I learned today by sitting and listening and watching how we worked that had me thinking about what my goals are in fulfilling my duties.

So, what did I learn about teamwork today?
  1. It's difficult to manage a large number of people. Every one has an opinion and needs time to be heard, to avoid conflict it's best to group people and give each one ample time to share what they have.
  2. Professionalism is A NEED! In fact when you're hiring anyone- first rule of conduct has to be about the need for professionalism. I have to confess that getting a text like 'K' or 'Kul' or 'lts mt @ 9' from a workmate or official simply puts me on edge.
  3. Respect time. If you wear a wrist watch, work by it not against it. If a meeting time is eight, let it not be a minute past eight. If you think you'll be late, call or text (professionally) fifteen or twenty minutes before to inform your team of the changes.
  4. Effective communication makes work easier. If you realize something that could slow down or hinder or even build your work, share it with the others. You work as a team towards a goal.
  5. Be kind and always remember your objective. Nothing spread faster than negative comments or feedback, so remember to critic and not hate. If someone does something that offends you, talk to them about it and solve it, when you do so- let it be water under the bridge and move on. Don't solve it and then go around giving a one-sided account of the story, that's just BS!

And to top it all my awesome friend called to surprise me at work, and I found myself speechless because I was so happy to hear his voice that all the questions I had to ask seemed to cloud my mind and not go through my mouth.

I'm grateful and humbled to know him, and it's with such a wonderful feeling that I post this and go have supper!

--
www.totellornot.wordpress.com

For all that is right, let there be love-peace and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Reading!